Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March 4, 2012 ride to Camp Wood

This was a long ride of 80 miles. I got an early 7:30 start on the road. The wind was not a factor and there were no long or steep climbs.  Just a lot of miles.

I made it to the city limits about 6:00 when I had my second flat of the trip. Camp Wood has to be the most helpful city in Texas. By the time I had the flat repaired, 3 people had stopped to ask if they could help. This is where I met Randy. He is a bicyclist traveler going to California. He asked where I was staying and I told him the "River Motel".  He said "if it has 2 beds he would split the cost".  I said sure, and off we went to check it out.

When we arrived no one was there and no one else was staying at the hotel. I called the manager and it I went to voice mail. I left a message and while we were waiting we found a picnic table and proceeded to cook our dinner. It was our good fortune that as we were finishing dinner,  a guy showed up and let us into our room. It had 2 beds, so I had a roommate. We swapped stories of our travels and talked late into the night. Randy has been on the road since November.

1 comment:

  1. Sicne November WOW!!! Now don't YOU get any ideas there boy, we all want you back home after this ride. Bob

    ReplyDelete