Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Feb 21, 2012 ride to Hanover NM




I woke up warm and refreshed in my primative camping spot.  Did I mention that I was the only one camping there? I had ice on my tent from condensation overnight and the little water I had left in my last water bottle had started to freeze. I packed up and started riding. I had to make up miles that I didn't ride yesterday and I was out of water.  I rode about 10 miles up hill and I reached Mule Creek , which is a town with only a post office(closed).  There was a guy outside though and I asked him about water. He said I could follow him back to his house and fill up there. 8/10 mile later on a dirt wash board road, following him in his car, we arrived at his house. Mike was a really nice guy. I filled my waters and he made me coffee. We talked for a little while and then I started back down the road.  I was heading to Hanover NM to stay with more warm shower hosts.  There were tons of rollers and so I was getting tired and it was slow going.  About 5:00pm I finally got cell service and called Pat and Dave to tell them that I still had 25 miles so I would be very late.  Pat took pity on me and drove out and picked me up.  That was a great ride in the car to their house!  They are great hosts! They made me homemade pizza for dinner. Dave is a retired Chemistry Professor. The next morning, they gave me a great breakfast of sourdough biscuits from their own sourdough starter, gravy and eggs!


No comments:

Post a Comment