Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February 27-Killer ride to Fort Davis

I was starting off on what was known as a gruelling 89 mile ride to Fort Davis with no services or places to stay inbetween.  The first 40 miles was against a brutal head wind.  It was pushing me around and I was averaging about 5 miles an hour against it. The panniers increase the wind resistence by about double. After 40 miles, I turned onto smaller Hwy 118 with hills to climb, but occasional relief from the wind.  After about 12 hours of riding in the strong winds, I found myself riding in the starlight, about 7:30pm, with miles to go.  I was so tired that I couldn't keep my bicycle going straight.  I was considering camping in a  highway culvert over night, when Cheryl called, and said she had just located me when I reached cell service again.  She told me that I still had 29 miles to go.  I decided to call the Old School House B &B where I was staying. Steve is a bicyclist and owns a bike shop there also. He volunteered to come get me...a life saver! When I got there at 8:30, they offered to fix me dinner but I was so tired and full of cliff bars, beef jerky and fruit that I just took a shower and went to bed!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Chuck that sounds exhausting. We talked about your journey at group last night. Hard to believe you are in Texas. You take care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, after a day like this, youu nneed a day off. Are you planning to take any? Blessings, and praying for you. Bob

    ReplyDelete