Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Feb 29, 2012 ride to Marathon Texas

This was probably my easiest ride. The 30 mile ride was mostly downhill with favorable winds. I rolled into Marathon about 1:30PM and checked into the Gage Hotel, a Texas landmark.

I went to check out the rest of the town but there wasn't much to see. The hotel restaurant was too pricey ($20 plus) for me so I went to the only other place in town, a small pizza place.  I met Eyla, a fellow bike rider,  and we split a pizza.  He is a graduate student riding across America but taking different routes then mine. Eyla told me about the hostel and suggested I check it out.

I rode out there and found it to be a very interesting place. The buildings were made out of recycled newspaper, cement and plaster. They even had some drifters staying there, a lady and her two kids in a tiny trailer. The price was $8 per night. It was quite a unique place but a little too communal for me. I headed back to my hotel to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment